Voluntary Transfer Annual Window - April 1 to May 3
Voluntary Transfer Request Forms may be submitted to the Human Resources Department between April 1 and May 3. By completing a transfer request during this time and submitting it formally to HR, the employee will be eligible to be considered for openings that become available in the spring. Voluntary transfer requests will remain active through June. All intra-district movement must take place prior to June 7th. Intra-district transfers after June 7th will not be allowed unless there are special circumstances that are approved through the Dept. of Human Resources.
Employee Voluntary Transfer Procedure
A voluntary transfer is defined as a request for a lateral move (i.e. movement between the same/similar job titles and pay grades) or a move from a higher pay grade to a lower pay grade to another site or campus. Only in extenuating circumstances or acute need will transfers be granted during the school year. Typically, transfers will take place at the end of the current school year in preparation for the following year.
Voluntary Transfer Guidelines for Upcoming School Year
Employees who are interested in the possibility of transferring to another school within the District for the upcoming school year should review these procedures carefully.
The formal request allows an employee to be considered for other openings. If eligible for a transfer, a PISD Voluntary Transfer Request Form (pdf) must be completed and submitted to the Human Resources Department via district mail. The transfer form requires the signature of the current principal so that he/she is informed of the employee’s consideration of transfer. This request shall not adversely affect the employee. Requesting a transfer does not guarantee that a change in assignment will occur.
HR will distribute a master list of the names of those employees interested in a possible transfer to all principals on a weekly basis during the transfer notification window, April to May. Employees should review the PISD website for a posted vacancy for which they are qualified and are expected to send a professional resume to the attention of the principal to indicate specific interest in this opening(s), but are asked not to make phone calls or personal visits to the campus unless contacted by the principal.
Eligibility for Transfer
Teachers who are eligible for a “term" contract, employees on a professional contract, and at-will employees will be eligible for a voluntary transfer. Term contract teachers will be considered eligible for transfer only after completing a minimum of two consecutive years in the district at the same campus. Teachers who are on a growth plan or receive a “below expectations” or “unsatisfactory” rating on any domain of the most recent teacher evaluation are not eligible for voluntary transfer. Teachers who will be on a “probationary" contract the following year are not eligible for a voluntary transfer. If a new employee to the district is on a “probationary” contract, but has the required five of eight prior years of experience and is eligible for a term contract for the upcoming school year, they still are ineligible to transfer due to not having met the criteria of being on the same campus for two consecutive years.
Additionally, non-exempt, hourly employees must complete one full school year at the same campus in order to be eligible to voluntarily transfer to another site. These categories of employees should also not have any documented performance concerns.
In the event a special need arises for staffing during the school year, (e.g. hard to fill position, highly technical position) the Human Resources Department shall be responsible for considering the following criteria to determine the possibility of allowing a lateral transfer during the school year:
1. Instructional and organizational needs of the district.
2. Contribution to students that the staff member could make in the new position.
3. Qualifications of the staff member compared to outside candidates both for the position to be vacated and for the position to be filed.
4. Effect the transfer will have on the instructional program in the school where the employee is currently assigned.
5. Effect the transfer will have on the instructional program in the receiving school.
6. Requests for mid-year transfers will only be considered by the HR Executive Director. Classroom teachers are not eligible for mid-year lateral transfers.
Applying for a Transfer:
For a transfer request to be considered, the process outlined below must be followed:
1. The Transfer Request Form is completed by employee and signed by the current principal. The principal’s signature is for notification purposes only.
2. Employee sends the original, signed transfer request to Human Resources for review.
3. HR determines if an employee meets specified criteria and confirms eligibility with the employee.
4. HR prepares a master list of transfer requests for campus principals during the transfer request period. List is updated weekly during transfer window.
5. The employee reviews the PISD website for posted vacancies for which the employee is currently certified.
6. The employee sends a professional resume to the receiving principal who has the vacancy in which the employee is interested and qualified. A cover letter may be included.
7. Principal/supervisor reviews all applicants, internal and external, for open positions and selects interview pool.
8. Employees who request transfers are given consideration but are not guaranteed an interview. If selected for an interview, the principal will contact the employee directly.
9. If selected for the position, the receiving principal/supervisor contacts the former principal to communicate intent to hire. If interviewed and not selected, the candidate shall be notified by the administrator who conducted the interview.
10. Receiving principal/supervisor submits electronic employee Personnel Action Form to Human Resources.11. The HR department will process changes in assignment and campuses.